Each request for transfer credit is evaluated by the head of the department awarding the credit; the award of transfer credit is not automatic. All courses are reviewed to confirm that they meet the academic expectations of the department issuing credit; some have additional restrictions. Some courses are not eligible for completion via transfer credit and must be taken at Rose-Hulman. Some may be eligible for credit by exam but not for transfer credit. These restrictions may be indicated in the Academic Rules and Procedures, in the Course Catalog, or by the head of the relevant academic department.
Rose-Hulman’s own summer courses and online courses are not transfer courses and are not subject to the limits stated below. Likewise, these limits do not apply to credit gained through Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate examinations. Credit is awarded for scored performance on those exams and is not awarded solely for completion of an AP- or IB-designated course. See Credit By Examination.
For the procedure used to evaluate credits transferred by students entering Rose-Hulman, see Transfer Student.
For students admitted as first-year students:
From initial enrollment through graduation, transfer credit in any one academic department is ordinarily limited to three courses; credits beyond this limit may be awarded as free electives.
Study abroad normally entails the approval of additional transfer credit beyond the normal three-course limit. Plans of Study for students completing two or more majors may also specify additional transfer credit.
Exceptions must be approved by the head of the department awarding the credit.
For students admitted as transfer students:
Transfer students, who matriculated as degree-seeking students at another accredited college or university prior to enrolling at Rose-Hulman, are not subject to the same three-course departmental limit as other students. They are, however, subject to the two-year residence requirement. See Graduation Requirements.
Current or prospective students should submit course(s) for transfer credit approval, by the appropriate department chair, by completing the "Transfer Credit Evaluation" area in Banner Web (located on the ‘Main’ tab in Banner Web). It is recommended that current students do this prior to taking the course(s) to ensure approval before course enrollment.
- Transfer credit is accepted only from accredited colleges and universities.
- The grade earned for a course taken at another institution must be equivalent to a grade of "C" or better.
- Transfer credit will not be granted for a course taken on a Pass/Fail basis.
- Grades earned in transfer credit courses are not recorded on the student's Rose-Hulman permanent record and are not averaged into the cumulative GPA.
- If a student is suspended from Rose-Hulman, the Rules and Discipline Committee may stipulate that the Institute will not accept transfer credit earned by the student at another school during the period of suspension.
- Seniors who plan to transfer credits to Rose-Hulman after their last term in residence should be aware of special limitations that apply in addition to the ones listed below. See also Summer Completion.