Image shows the door to the Rose-Hulman Health Services clinic. Open for business.

Health Services

Not feeling your best? Fell down and twisted an ankle in your intramural basketball game? Need immunizations or allergy shots? Our friendly health services professionals are here to help.
In this section Open Close

What to expect at the RHIT health services clinic

Our Health Clinic operates just like a regular doctor’s office. Last year over 3,000 visits were made to the clinic by students, faculty, and staff. We see patients on a first-come, first-serve basis--no appointment needed--and accept our last patient 30 minutes prior to close. 

Your visit to the clinic can last anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour based on the number of patients being seen and the acuity of your illness. If you require medications, an injection or procedure, your visit will take additional time.

Come in and see us, we are here for you.

Who provides care at the RHIT Health Services Clinic?

The RHIT Health Services Clinic is staffed by a nurse practitioner, nurses and support staff. If the healthcare needs of the student cannot be met by the RHIT Health Services Clinic, the student can be referred to the proper provider.

What services are offered?

  • Physical exams (sports, study abroad)* 
  • Immunizations/flu shots
  • Health assessments and treatments
  • Men’s and women’s health
  • STD screenings/counseling
  • Prepackaged prescription medications
  • Over-the-counter medications
  • Laboratory testing
  • Educational materials

*Physicals are by appointment.

All services are confidential and HIPAA compliant.


What should I do if I have an emergency?

If you have a medical emergency, call 911 and Public Safety at 812-877-8590. Be sure to state your name, your problem, where you are located, and a phone number where you can be reached. Examples of medical emergencies include:

Major trauma (possible head injury, fracture, and internal injuries)

Unconsciousness (diabetic coma, insulin reaction, electric shock, drug overdose)

Lacerations with heavy bleeding.

Seizure disorders (first known seizure, injury with seizure, seizure with high temperature)


How do I pay for services?

The office visit to Health Services for students is covered by tuition and fees. All students can utilize the clinic by calling 812-877-8367 or stopping in to schedule an appointment. The clinic is in Mussallem Union Room 135. Walk-in appointments based on availability.

Please bring identification and insurance card for every visit. Although there is no cost associated with the office visit, laboratory testing and immunizations are billed to health insurance.

What immunizations do I need to attend RHIT?

Mandatory immunizations are required for attendance at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. Religious and personal belief waivers are not accepted. If you have a medical contradiction to a specific vaccine, please provide documentation of the vaccine reaction, including medical records, VAERSreports, etc. Each case will be reviewed by the medical staff.

Required vaccines include:

Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis (given within the past 10 years)

Measles, Mumps, Rubella

Chicken Pox (Varicella)

Meningitis A 

Meningitis B

Hepatitis B


Who can receive services at the clinic?

RHIT students, employees and their spouses are eligible to receive services. Students must present a valid RHIT identification card to receive services.


Q: If I have been diagnosed with ADHD in the past, can I continue my care at the RHIT Office of Health Services?

A: If you have been diagnosed and treated for ADHD in the past, the Office of Health Services requires complete documentation of the diagnostic evaluation and treatment provided by your previous treating physician or other licensed professional.

You will need to contact your previous provider to send your records to us well in advance of being scheduled.  Thorough medical records pertaining to your diagnosis and treatment for ADHD are REQUIRED.

All documentation must be received and reviewed before medication is prescribed. This could take up to four (4) weeks, so please plan.

If the documentation is approved, you will be contacted, and an appointment will be scheduled with our Provider.

If the documentation is not approved, we will contact you to review the following options:

If you are unable to provide adequate documentation for the diagnosis of ADHD,         you will be referred to a community provider.

You can contact your current provider for additional required documentation.

You can continue care with your current provider.

IMPORTANT - You will need to work with your current prescriber during this process to ensure you have an adequate supply of medication.

ADHD Medication FAQs

Q: My student is from out of town and does not have a doctor near Rose-Hulman. He/she takes medication for ADHD, will he/she be able to get a prescription for this medication while attending Rose-Hulman?

A: Yes. Students may receive prescriptions for ADHD medications at the Rose-Hulman Health Services clinic.  Your student should establish care with the nurse practitioner to discuss the medication that is being used to treat his/her ADHD. The student should bring the current medication bottle to the appointment so that the correct medication and dose can be prescribed. ADHD medications cannot be electronically prescribed or called in to the pharmacy. An original prescription must be written each month.

Q: Does this mean that my student must have an appointment with the nurse practitioner every month?

A: No. The student must be seen for an appointment every third refill to check vital signs and weight and to discuss any problems or side effects that the student may be having with the medication. Between these visits the student may call, email, or stop by the health office to have the refill written without an appointment.

Q: Can my student get his/her prescription for ADHD medication filled at the Rose-Hulman Health Services Office?

A: No. While we have many over the counter and prescription medications available at the clinic pharmacy, we do not keep controlled substances such as ADHD medications on site. Your student must fill the prescription at a local retail pharmacy.

Q: My student does not have a vehicle on campus, how can he/she get the prescription filled?

A: Many students arrange to have a friend, RA, or SA assist them with a ride to one of the many local pharmacies near campus. If your student has exhausted all resources and cannot find a way to get to the pharmacy to pick up his/her medication, the Health Services staff will assist to make other arrangements.

Q: My student will be away from home and away from campus for the summer, how can he/she get this medication prescribed while out of town?

A: We will assist your student with obtaining the medication that they will need while away from campus. Arrangements must be made before your student leaves campus for the summer break.

Q: Can the Health Services office store my student's medication?

A: Health Services cannot store your student's medication in the clinic. Your student would not have access to their medication during times when the clinic is closed. 


I'm an incoming freshman or transfer student. What do I need to do for health services?

All new students are required to complete health forms prior to matriculation. All forms must be completed and returned to Health Services no later than August 1. Find complete information on MyRose-Hulman.

What about student health insurance?

Learn more information about Student Health Insurance.


We recommend going to Union Health Convenient Care

Eastside Convenient Care: 2133 S SR 46 Terre Haute, IN                                                              Mon-Fri: 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
Sunday: CLOSED

Downtown Convenient Care: 221 S. 6th Street Terre Haute, IN
Mon-Fri: 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Sunday: 11 a.m.-5 p.m.

Convenient Care Services Include:

Acute injuries, including possible broken bones

Problems with Asthma or COPD

Fever, flu-like symptoms


Seasonal allergies

Poison ivy

Sore throats, coughs, cold symptoms


Sprains, strains, scrapes, and minor cuts

Urinary symptoms – burning, frequency, urgency

Vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain

Other health needs or conditions that a patient or family member deems urgent

Health Services Contact - Hours

Hours & Contact
Fall, Winter, and Spring:
Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m.- 4 p.m. (Last patient seen at 3:30 p.m.)
Closed for lunch Noon to 1 p.m.
Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m.- 1 p.m. 
Friday – CLOSED

812-877-8367 (Phone)
812-872-6225 (Fax)

The Health Services Clinic is located inside the Mussallem Union, Room 135.

Meet Our Staff

Launch Root Quad
Return to Top