Kreta GreeceHealth and Safety Abroad


All Rose-Hulman students participating in a study abroad or an internship abroad will be required to have proof of international medical insurance coverage. Domestic insurance plans often do not meet coverage requirements for international travel and require the patient to pay all medical expenses out of pocket before being released from the clinic or hospital abroad. If a student studies abroad using a domestic insurance plan, he or she could be required to pay thousands of dollars from his or her own bank account before ever being allowed to leave the medical facility.

The Office of Global Programs and the Office of Insurance and Risk Management have worked together to find an affordable international medical insurance option for all Rose-Hulman students going abroad on approved global experiences. Coverage is provided by HTH Worldwide, and the Office of Global Programs will submit the students’ names to HTH after receiving the required information for enrollment. The information required for enrollment is name, birthdate, gender, student ID number, country of citizenship, destination country, and study abroad program dates. Students are to submit this information to the Office of Global Programs at least 30 days prior to their departure! The Office of Global Programs will enroll students in coverage for the duration of their program, but it will be the responsibility of the student him or herself to purchase coverage for any extra time abroad spent traveling and sightseeing. Students can go to the HTH website and order coverage for any additional time needed. 

For information on policy benefits, please download the current benefits brochure.

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) 

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a service provided by the federal government. The office of global programs encourages all travelers to enroll with the program to be up to date on safety concerns.

  • STEP is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens/nationals who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.
  • STEP allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency.
  • STEP also allows Americans residing abroad to get routine information from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

How do I enroll in STEP?

Create an account by clicking on the link and following the instructions provided. Account creation allows you to select a username and password so that you can access your travel data at any time. The account will also contain your personal information so that it can be saved and used again whenever you travel abroad. The personal information section will include basic information about yourself, and also for an emergency contact of someone who is not traveling with you.

Once you have created an account, you will view your profile and add trips or overseas residences to register with a specific U.S. embassy or consulate. Click on the “add trip" button or "add overseas residence" buttons to include this information. Complete as much information as you have available. There are very few required fields, but thorough information enables the U.S. Embassy to help you more efficiently, if needed.

How can the embassy or consulate assist me while I am abroad?

U.S. consular officers assist Americans who encounter serious legal, medical, or financial difficulties. Although consular officers cannot act as your legal counsel or representative, they can provide the names of local attorneys and doctors, provide loans to destitute Americans, and provide information about dangerous conditions affecting your overseas travel or residence. Consular officers also perform non-emergency services, helping Americans with absentee voting, selective service registration, receiving federal benefits, and filing U.S. tax forms. Consular officers can notarize documents, issue passports, and register U.S. children born abroad. Most embassies and consulates have websites with more information.

Enrolling through this website is NOT considered proof of U.S. citizenship. If you apply for any American citizen services from the embassy or consulate while abroad, you will be asked by the consular staff to provide proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a U.S. passport or birth certificate.

Where do I enroll my trip to the U.S.?

STEP is intended for U.S. citizens to enroll with a U.S. embassy or consulate when traveling or living abroad. If you are not a U.S. citizen and would like to submit your information online to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to receive travel authorization under the Visa Waiver Program for visits to the U.S., please visit.