Ten Reasons to Get a Passport
- A passport allows for travel to different countries. This includes Mexico, Canada, Caribbean and Bermuda (even driving to Alaska).
- A passport acts as a form of ID within the United States.
- Getting a passport now saves money. Rushing a passport application adds a $60 fee.
- A passport is valid for 10 years.
- A passport helps when moving within the U.S. It acts as identification when acquiring a new license in a different state, signing an apartment lease, or applying for a new job.
- Having a passport means there is no need for a visa for travel in more than 100 countries and the European Union.
- A passport acts as a birth certificate.
- A passport behaves as primary form of identification when traveling. Most places require identification when checking in.
- A passport allows a person to leave a cruise ship during port stops, no matter the location
- A passport allows for more opportunities. It can be used for full-time job, internship, or study abroad.
Steps to obtaining a passport
- You must have an official birth certificate.
- If your birth certificate is lost or needs replaced, write the state in which you were born for a replacement. Costs range from $5-$30.
1. Show a driver licenses, military ID, or government ID.
Photocopy of identification.
- Photocopy the front and back of your primary identification and birth certificate.
- Each photocopy can contain the image of only one side (printed on one side).
- Paper must be standard white paper, 8 ½X 11 inches.
- Image must be 2x2 inches.
- Picture must be taken within six months.
- Picture must be in color.
- Image must show the whole face, and have no shadows.
- Sign up for a photograph on campus.
* Pay fee
1. First time passport has an application fee of $140 and an execution fee of $25.
2. Fee can be paid here
*Apply in person
1. Bring everything in step 1-6 and go to interview.
The closest facility to Rose-Hulman is the Terre Haute Post Office, about eight miles away.