Activities and Opportunities
Undergraduate Research Experience
Beyond our basic teaching program the math department pursues an active program of undergraduate mathematics research and mathematics project work which prepares students for careers in industry, business, government, and further study in graduate school.
In additon to our senior thesis/project program, we support undergraduate programs both on and off-campus through these programs:
These programs are supported by our facilities and our pervasive use of computing in the teaching of undergraduate mathematics.
A Fast Start
The Rose math program allows for a fast start in mathematics by a generous acceptance of AP credit and two fast start programs. The programs are open to all majors.
The Competitive Edge
Our department prides itself on its participation in mathematics competitions both for our own students and as an outreach in the K-12 STEM pipeline. Of particular interest are:
- Rose-Hulman competitions page for details, contacts, and information links for all competitions.
- Alfred Schmidt Freshman Mathematics Competition
- Virginia Tech Regional Mathematics Contest
- William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition
- Mathematical Contest in Modeling
- The Indiana College Mathematics Competition
- Rose-Hulman High School Mathematics Competition
- MATHCOUNTS – for middle school
- AMC competitions – for middle and high school
- American Regional Mathematics League (ARML) – for high school students
Department Programs and Contacts for Undergraduate Research